Charles K. Miller House
by: chicago designslinger
[Charles K. Miller House (1884) A.M.F. Colton, architect /Images & Artwork: chicago designslinger]
When Charles K. Miller built this house on State Street in 1884, he didn't have many neighbors. The area had recently been the site of the Catholic Cemetery, and with the dead disinterred and relocated, a prime chunk of Chicago real estate was opened for new development.
[Charles K. Miller House, 1432 N. State Parkway, Chicago /Image & Artwork: chicago designslinger]
Miller was in advertising. His firm served as a middleman between newspapers and clients who wanted to advertise in them. Miller & Co.'s territory covered the entire country, and for a while Miller ran the largest newspaper ad business concern in the nation. He did so well that in 1894 he retired and was a resident of 1432 N. State Parkway until his death.
[Charles K. Miller House, Gold Coast National Historic District, Chicago /Image & Artwork: chicago designslinger]
Architect A.M.F. Colton's version of Queen Anne inspired design remained in the Miller family until 1947 when Loris Miller sold the house after his mother died, and the 9,000 sq.ft. structure was converted into a multi-unit apartment building. In 1964 plans were announced which called for the demolition of the house so a 25-story, 92-unit apartment building could be built on the large, double-lot site. Needless to say, that didn't happen. In March of this year the building was purchased for $4,985,000 by Chicago developer Steven Fifield, who must be spending a small fortune to fix up the place since he recently obtained a permit from the city's building department, "to remove and replace existing masonry facade to match. Remove and replace slate roof. Windows to remain."